Saturday 2 July 2011

The Hill House

I have wanted to go to The Hill House at Helensburgh for about twenty years and this trip built in a day to ensure that I got there.  It was well worth the effort.  I am a big fan of Charles Rennie Mackintosh and have seen most of his major commissions already but The Hill House has eluded me.  It is furnished in typical Mackintosh detail with some beautiful glass and light fittings, pale plain walls with the odd frieze of stylized roses and fantastic wooden floors.  As a contrast to the overwhelming sumptuousness of late Victoriana it is absolutely brilliant.

We had seen enough by about 1530 so instead of looking for a hotel for the night we decided to push on down the M74 until we were tired and ended up staying at a Days Inn just north of Carlisle.  The first Days Inn we have ever stayed at and I was very impressed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment